Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series; Bojangles' Southern 500
TRACK: Darlington Raceway
DRIVER: Kasey Kahne
CAR: No. 95 Dumont JETS Camaro ZL1
POINTS POSITION: 358 total points for the season; currently 27th in the driver point standings
- What has become NASCAR's Throwback Weekend the last several years, finds many teams in the garage celebrating the history of the sport on Labor Day weekend at historic Darlington Raceway. For Kasey Kahne and his No. 95 team, the organization decided to celebrate Kahne's winningest season in his Cup series career from 2006 by utilizing that season's paint scheme. For the second time this season, Dumont JETS brought back an iconic scheme from Kahne's career in order to allow his fans to celebrate some of his career milestones. Kahne started from 29th Sunday night and fought rear-grip most of the night, but was able to improve to finish 24th at Darlington.
- Sunday night's Bojangles' Southern 500 took the green flag at 7:09 p.m. EST after several weather holds during pre-race festivities. Kahne began the 367-lap event from 29th with his No. 95 Dumont JETS Camaro ZL1, and improved to 25th by lap 28. Kahne then radioed in to crew chief Jon Leonard that the car was "free in (Turns) 3 and 4, and a little snug in (Turns) 1 and 2" early in the run. Kahne continued to fight handling at a track which is known for giving drivers a "Darlington stripe" due to contact with the wall.
- The team prepared for their first pit stop of the night as Kahne told the team that he had ‘too much turn for the rear grip" and the he asked the team to give the car a wedge adjustment so that he could keep the trackbar up. Kahne hit pit road on lap 47 and the team service the Dumont JETS Chevy with four tires, fuel, air pressure and wedge adjustments. Stage 1 ended following lap 100 as Kahne ended the stage in 26th at the time. Leonard opted to once again bring his driver in for service under the first caution of the night, and the Dumont JETS team performed another four-tire stop.
- The race returned to green to begin lap 108 with Kahne in 24th and over Stage 2 of the race, Kahne told the team that his Dumont JETS Chevy was tight the entire time. Another long green-flag run found teams cycling through stops throughout Stage 2, and Kahne ended the stage in 28th as he asked his team to give him more rear grip.
- The final stage of the race took the green flag to begin lap 208 with the Dumont JETS Chevy in 29th for the restart. Kahne continued to battle handling in his No. 95 machine as he fought to get all he could on every lap at the challenging track. A series of cautions late in the race found the field bunch back up after so many long green-flag runs throughout the race. Kahne was able to take the wavearound several times and fought back to improve to 24th before the checkered flag.
- Brad Keselowski drove away with the win Sunday night at the "Too Tough To Tame" track earning his first series victory of the season in the process. Joey Logano, Kyle Larson, Kevin Harvick, and Chase Elliott rounded out the top-five finishers at Darlington while Kahne was scored in 24th with his Dumont JETS Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.
2018 Season Summary:
Starts - 25
Wins - 0
Top 5's - 1
Top 10's - 1
Poles - 0
Big Machine Vodka 400 at the Brickyard
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (1.366-mile track)
Sunday, September 9, 2018